The retrimmed bonnet
I've taken my inspiration from some images from pinterest.
The Challenge: #10 Literature
Fabric: Veil was some chiffon. The bonnet was a straw hat I cut up and modified with a linen type material.
Pattern: No pattern used.
Notions: Self fabric biasbinding, thread, feather.
How historically accurate is it? I tried to give a similar shape to the bonnets from fashion plates so guessing its fairly accurate. Probably should have covered the straw in fabric but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.
Hours to complete: approx 20. I lost count. As I made it in stages.
First worn: For the photos for this blog.
Cost: Straw hat £4, Bias binding left over self made so free, Linen type fabric less than a metre approx £3, Feather £1, ribbon reused, less than metre of chiffon £2. Total £10 approx.
This was the bonnet before:
I cut off the crown. Made a gathered material one instead. Reused the ribbon. Bound the cut edges with biasbinding. Added a loop and button so I could adjust the fit.
The veil is a peice of shiffon with a rolled hem. I pinned it onto the bonnet for a quick change.