"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Butterick 5229 - 20's inspired dress

So as I mentioned in this post. I'm sewing up Butterick 5229 to make a 20's inspired dress.

Decided to go for a nautical look. Using navy blue poly cotton and white bias binding. I also have wooden buttons. Although if I find some nice gold ones I will use those. The length is in between B & A.
Already thinking up embellishments....
Maybe a 2nd line for a double white stripe along the bottom?
Or piping on the waistline?
A small pocket?
Or a cute bow?
My design

More details to be added below once completed...all comments welcome.

So...its finished! Took more than 2 hours to make..but I did add embellishments and do it all by hand (did I mention how much I hate hand sewing buttonholes?).




I think it looks pretty close to my design. This was the first time I'd taken a pattern and 'customized' it. Like lengthening the tunic skirt.



This however because of an error made the skirt too wide....thinking on my feet I put in some more pleats than I was planning to make. Two in the front, one in the back.

This was the first time I'd done pleats. So it was a bit of a guess as I went along. I also did some piping (no not the musical kind) for the first time.
I think another time I would pipe the collar and hem as well, because it looks 'neater'.

Having enough bias binding left I made myself some bows..one of the dress and one for my hair.





I did deviate from the pattern instructions quite a few times but the basic pattern I cut out was a good base.

I give it 8/10

1 comment:

  1. I was making it for a retro dance...but it might get its debut at clog workshop instead...

    ReplyDelete