"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, April 26, 2012

It ain't what you do, its the way that you do it...

aka. I'm getting creative with patterns.

I was looking everywhere for a simple bodice with a sweetheart neckline. Like in the sketch below.

Was planning on matching it with skirt or crop trousers/shorts for the summer.
And what happens...I go look in the back of the cupboard and there hidden away was simplicity 4990.
Not only a top but a nice swishy skirt too. Now there are several changes I need to make.
1) using the bodice with thick straps but making the neckline sweetheart.
2) The pattern has a zip in the side seam. I really don't like side zips so will have to move the zip to the back.

Fabric choice
I had my lovely blue floral fabric in mind originally for the top and my left over navy blue fabric for the skirt. But I bought 3 metres of some pretty floral cotton on a whim and it might just be able to cover making the top and skirt in matching fabric. Then I thought rather than skirt and top I could make a dress. Dilemma!
Two fabric choices

I have a zip long enough for a dress so the idea has potential.

Mockup
I've so far used some left over pink fabric to sew a mock up to check the fit, and test out moving the zip. If all goes according to plan I'll use it as a lining.

Skills
On my skills list I'll be able to add princess seams and lining a bodice. Still sticking to trying to choose projects that will teach me new sewing skills in order to build up a portfolio of skills I can use later.

Update:

I decided to make it into a dress and use the pink gingham.  Pictures to come.

I also have stubled upon a wonderful shop which is selling the kinda top I was hoping to make here. Unfortunately none left in my size. :( But I did pick up some nice bargains in their sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment