"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Regency Morning Dress

I have been ispired by the historical sew fortnightly challenges to go back to my regency outfit and do it 'properly'. First step was the foundations. So went back to the wrap stays [or morning belt] and gave them a nother go. I have the toile done which works well enough just for fittings of the dress etc. but will make up the real ones soon when I get the fabric.

 I also made myself a chemise and will make another one in different fabric to use as a night dress,
As you can see I'm getting the right shape from the stays
 
 Now as its a morning belt I thought I'd make a morning dress to wear as night/loungewear. now I don't have much material in my stash so I'm having to be a bit clever.

Source: huff.to via Lady on Pinterest

I'm inspired a bit by this image...as you notice the undersleeves look a bit like the sleeves of my chemise. There is a simliar kind of combo in this image.


And this one.

And this one
Source: google.com via Lady on Pinterest

Which is described as having a spencer. I'm also taking note of the garment in pattern of fashion.
Thinking of having a sleeveless dress as a base like this one.

or this one


















































With a wrapover 'jacket' with long sleeves.

Seen in reality here

Another jacket here


As it would mean I have a summer nighty but with the jacket it becomes a winter one or a 'regency morning dress'.

I have taken some inspiration from these two items.


I have the bodice already sewn and will be using an old petticoat mock up as my base to add a broderie englaise skirt to....

I'll change the front closure to lace up.
I'm then going to make the jacket which will be me being brave and adapting a pattern to work.
But I want to line it like this 'mantle'. Adding some lace on the collar.
hmmmm...should work for lace & lacing challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment