"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Saturday, April 26, 2014

I'm spinning around...

I'm trying spinning!
No not the exercise thing with bikes....what kinda gal do you take me for? I don't go to gyms. lol!
What I'm talking about is spinning wool on a drop spindle.
 I ordered a beginners kit from Hilltop Cloud shop on etsy.
The kit has different types of wool in it....I I get to figure out what type I get along with. It came with a booklet with clear instructions on how to get started.
 I found it easy to get the basics...but actually having control of what thickness of thread I'm getting and drafting consistantly is going to take more practice.
 You can see above how I fluctuated between thick and thin. Its lovely material to work with...I found my hands were all soft afterwards. Wonder if that was the lanolin?
As the first fibre I used as a little surprise additional sample (reminded me of a foxes tail in colour) it wasn't long enough to wrap round chair back as instructions said...so I improvised with a hair grip I bought but couldn't figure out how to use ages ago 
 I then decided just to have a go plying it. Then crocheted a little bracelet (below).

All very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment