"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Monday, July 9, 2012

Half Circle Skirts - in a spin


So I'm a thrifty girl at heart when it comes to sewing. Can't stand waste and will always try to find ways of saving money when sewing. Even if it means cutting corners (like not lining) or changing closures. So I had 2 metres of fab kath kidson-esque 100% cotton fabric. I could see my ideal in my head a circle skirt...but it wasn't to be. A half circle skirt would have to do. Now I needed a pattern. Brainwave: Butterick 4790 contained the right shape pattern piece.














But I did a silly thing....didn't allow for what effect changing the waist shaping would do (changed from losenge to circular).




It meant I got a 'dipped hem'. Making the most of my mistake I changed it to front opening, sewing up the front and using snap closure (did I mention how much I hate doing buttonholes?) I also took about an inch off the back so it was almost level but not quite.



Means when I wear it it looks level. 

I also made a matching bow but didn't wear it in the end.

 I also found I had to put darts in the waistband as for some reason as always happens the waist seems to have grown since I cut it.
I added in some darts.
And I wore it with my belt just in case....and here it is in action...




And *drumroll* I won 'best dressed'. I am well pleased about that. :)

4 comments:

  1. Fun! Perfect for dancing in!

    A circle (or half circle) skirt is actually hemmed/levelled properly when it looks completely even on YOU, not when it measures evenly down from the waist when hanging on a hanger/dressform. Never hem a circle skirt from the bottom down - always put it on and measure up from the floor to get a perfectly even circle. So your skirt is even and done properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)
      I like skirts to be a little shorter at front than the back if I'm going to dance in them.

      Delete
  2. What a fun print! The skirt looks great on you, and it's perfect for dancing. I just love the bow too! I agree, it would look darling in the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)
      I will wear the bow at some point. lol

      Delete