"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Regency dress...a little progress

SO I messed around with the princess seams and finally jumped in and cut out the fashion fabric. I sewed the bodice entirely by hand.

As you can see I am going to use the mock up as a petticoat. So wanted to see what it would look like. I have since the photo was taken lowered the 'petticoat' front a little more.

I moved the shoulder seams back as per instructions. And the princess seams.

My next thing is sleeves and finding the right pattern. Thought I might find a modern sleeve pattern I find comfy and try to 'modify' it. What do you think? Is that a good idea?

Then its the skirt do I cut straight panels or make them A-line? And if so how steep a gradient?
My mood board
I  realize I'm going to have a seam down the front of the skirt. But Will only have the bodice and about inch of top of the skirt open. the rest will be sewn shut. Is there a way to disguise this seam?

UPDATE:


After seeing this pinterest link
Its given me a few ideas.

It would enable me to make the centre seam look pretty. 

And I notice the dress is sleeveless. I could wear the 'nightshirt' underneath.




















Update: Here is the mockup which is gonna be made into a short petticoat....


Front

Back
Will be using hook & eye for the front of the bodice bit. The front seam is sewn up on the 'skirt'. I haven't finished sewing it yet so this is partially sewn partially pinned at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment