"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Thursday, January 2, 2014

In a Tudor-ish Mood

So I started off thinking I could use the pattern from the tudor tailor book and make a smock to use as a night dress. And its ended up with me looking at my fabric stash and thinking...I think I could use some of that up making a kirtle.

I'm not sure about my nightdress collar

It just looks and feels awkward. I'm contemplating removing it and just adding a frill.

The kirtle bodice is still in the fitting stages. I just can't get the right shape. But then I found the book a little light on visual instructions. And I'm not exactly ideally shaped for the tudor era...too curvey.

2 comments:

  1. You really need to use some buckram or other stiffening in the kirtle bodice, even if it's just a few layers of very thick linen, and make it so tight it completely flattens your bust (not as uncomfortable as it sounds, and very supportive) which is hard to visualise in gingham. I have a considerable bust myself, and once you get it right you can use the same pattern again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say flatten where does it go? Up or Down or even worse to the sides.....I had a minamising bra that did that once. :o

      Delete