The Challenge: #15 The Great Outdoors
Fabric: buckram, velvet
Pattern: none. self drafted.
Notions: Wire. Ribbon and other trim.
How historically accurate is it? Don't ask...I'm not a bonnet expert. This has just been one big experiment.
Hours to complete: it took forever I lost count.
First worn: N/A
Total cost: I lost track of the costs. I know the buckram and wire was pricey. The velvet was a leftover and can't recall the price.
I made the frame out of buckram and wire. I hadn't made a pattern to cut the fabric out with so I used the pattern from the original bergere and fudged it (yep technical term).
Next was to line the inside. Which I found very tricky as I didn't have a proper pattern. There was a lot of guessing a bodging involved. Basically I cut a large rectangle of fabric. Weighted it inside then folded over thr raw edge as I pinned, pleating to fit.