"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Monday, March 12, 2012

Colette Jasmine - A Review (aka. why I should never sew to a deadline)

Came beautifully packaged...
Day 1
First off I read the booklet from cover to cover...I do prefer that its a booklet instead of wrestling with a oversize sheet. Then I cut out the pattern.
Now the instructions were very clear an easy to follow. And images nice and clear....but (I know there's always a but) with so many sizes on one pattern all the lines were crammed in and it made it very hard to follow and actually impossible in some places to be able to mark the fabric using the pattern.
Eep! which line to follow?

In the end I gave up drew round the biggest size where it wasn't clear and then measured the amount from edge I needed to me in then marked it on the fabric...and in other places took it in on the seams when I was fitting it on myself. It means I wasn't as accurate cutting as I like to be. So it may turn out a bit wonky.
I only wanted contrast on the sleeves so that's what I cut out.

Day 2
After sewing up the bodice I then made the little loop for the ties to go through...what a palaver....I hate having to pull sewing that small inside out...takes ages of poking with a knitting needle to persuade the material to turn inside out.

Day 3
Next I went to sort out the ties and collar to find I'd accidentally cut out an extra set of collar facings instead of the 'short tie section' by mistake. (I have to admit I was rushing as the cutting process took a long time it put me behind schedule....so that was more sewers error than the patterns fault) I think I really should mark the pattern letters on the material next time. So after hastily cutting out the missing pieces I started on the collar.

Utilizing every spare moment I've been sewing away the the tie section and finally finished it while watching 'you never were lovelier' (an old BW musical film). I also managed to pin the tie to the collar in preparation for sewing...might be slightly 'wonky'.

Day 4
Collar all done...bit fiddly but completed in the end.  Started on the sleeves doing version 2. Can't get the 'V' point to well make a V point...
you can see where its pulling away...my own fault.

Looking at front of the blouse I think I made a mistake doing a hand zig zag stitch. I'll go back when I have time and use some red bias binding to cover the centre front seam and some 'mock' buttons.

Day 5/6
Finished the blouse. Yay! Sewed the sleeves and hemmed the blouse. It was only once I was wearing it I realize I'd got 2 left sleeves instead of a left and right. lol! Having fabric the same both sides I really should have marked the 'wrong' side.

Although marked as a beginner pattern I would say for me it was in between beginner and intermediate a 'improver' or 'advanced beginner' label would be more accurate. And I must *never* sew to a deadline...I'm never happy with the result when I do. I think the fact it turned out passable despite me rushing is a positive point. If I spent a whole day rather than just a morning on the cutting I'd have got a better result...and now I know where I'd want to alter things to make it work.

So I would give the pattern 7/10 with potential to move up a few points once I try it again with more drapey material and with no deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment