"Resign yourself, Catherine! Shops must be visited! Money must be spent! Do you think you could bear it?" - Northanger Abbey

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Nautical Ensemble - Part 1 - Waistcoat

This is on my 'I want' wishlist a regency nautical inspired ensemble. You can see some uniforms close up here.
 There's the jackets like the one below that have the pointed collar and are double breasted.
But then I think the earlier style (1805) would be easier to replicate when you know my trouble I have with making collars look neat. I think I could find enough of the blue wool fabric to make a spencer.
First off though I have made myself a waistcoat from some blue ticking type material I had in my fabric stash. It can be worn over a dress or with trousers and shirt.
I draped it using instrutions for male regency waistcoat but then raised the waistline and added darts to make it femanine.
There's a kick pleat at the centre back to accomodate the pleats of the dress when I wear it. Yes, I know its shown here with trousers...broken ones but that will be explained in another post.
I managed to complete it in one day from drape to sewing the fabric and even doing proper seam finishes..yep I hand overcast the seams. The collar is stiffened with left over calico. Its unlined and I used bias strips of fabric to finish the armholes. It was done with mixture of hand and machine sewing. And it does fit me better than the dress form. ;)

I might perhaps add some white material and a gold button on the collar.



No comments:

Post a Comment