So thanks to some help and suggestions from a sewing forum I have got past the stage I was stuck on.
But before I come to that lets review...
I stay stitched the collar and sewed in the darts.
Then sewed up sides and shoulders.
I then sew to work on the collar and facing. I machine stitched at first as that's what the instructions said..but soon gave up when it prooved too tricky for me to sew with any accuracy. Very long stright seams is one thing on a machine but small curved shapes are just too hard. Got much neater result sewing it by hand...don't care if it takes me a week to make.
|pinned and sewed 'hem' on facing|
(small note here I did accidentily fold over the wrong side and sew it - then had toseam rip it and start again)
|Pinned on collar.|
Sewing by hand enabled me to use blanket and herringbone stitches at some poinds for both decorative effect and neatness.
I ended up attaching collar in the way I thought it fitted rather than as I thought I'd diciphered from the pattern.
So here is the shirt as it stands. needs pressing again.
But next step is sleeves....then buttonholes. Two things I haven't sewn before. And I'm doing it all by hand rather than machine.